Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Languages and random memories

I've always been interested in languages and I seem to be pretty talented at learning them. I remember the first time I heard my dad speak in Spanish. I was amazed and since then, I've been a sponge for different languages. (He asked the gas station cashier for a pencil). So far, I've studied about 15 different languages (although I do not claim fluency or proficiency in most of them), it's my hobby. My brother, Seth, is the same way. He speaks several languages fluently and several others proficiently. Languages were encouraged in my house growing up and I will encourage my kids in learning them as well.

Once when I was 13, I was having dinner at a friends house. We were gathered around the table and I was teaching my friend and her little brother how to say hello in various languages. Somehow this provoked her mother who slammed her hand on the table and yelled "This is an English speaking house!" I didn't go back to her house after that. It was quite shocking.

No comments: