Friday, October 30, 2009

What If....

Any time the Powerball reaches a big number, Brenden and I entertain ourselves with "what if"s. What would we buy if we won? Where would we travel? What opportunities would open up for us? We'd want to travel, of course. We'd want to buy a home and pay off all our debt. We'd want to help our families and volunteer our time to good causes. I'd want to take up hobbies, like sewing, and I'd love to adopt a child or two.

It just dawned on me...I don't have to win the lottery to do these things! We can travel (albeit, we can't travel all over the world but we can travel!). I am learning how to sew now and we are paying off debt every month. Although we can't give our family money, we can help them by encouraging them and loving them. And we can volunteer our time to good causes now. And I am gathering information on adoption. It's always, always, always been on my heart to adopt a child from India. I can't tell you why exactly, it's just something I've always dreamt of doing. And it is obtainable within my life!

Who needs the lottery? Certainly not me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me know how the volunteering goes! I think that's great! Good idea - I can't wait to hear about what you get up to!

Laura said...

Thanks! I'm going to pray about it but I want to do something with children, particularly foster kids. It's always been my dream and you don't need to be rich to give your time :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful plans! I have a freind that just came back form visiting a friend in India. If you want me to ask her if she knows anything about India adoptions I'd be happy to. In your serching for an opportunity to volunteer you might want to look into CASA.

The Drew Family said...

That'd be great, Rhonda! India is one of those places that has always "been on my heart". My grandparents vacationed there alot but I've never been.