Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Just Thinking...

Let me preface this blog by saying that I liked playing Santa. But lately, he has been getting on my nerves. I walked through the mall the other day and was astonished by how far parents go to lie to their children. They wait in line to have their children sit on a strange man's lap dressed as the jolly old saint while telling their kids not to talk to strangers (yes, I overheard that conversation). I also overheard conversations about how Santa travelled all this way to be at the mall. Hmm...the mall?

I love imagination, I love stories, but when is it too much? When is it lying? When is it manipulation? Yes, I said manipulation! Children are natural believers, they have such a natural faith. And I feel like toy companies manipulate that faith in such disgusting ways. Now, if you know me, you know that I am not a nay-sayer. I love fun! Like I said, I love stories! I love imagination and make believe (yes, I still do!). But Christmas is about Christ. It's not about presents, or the tree, or stockings, or eating, or even family (although these are all very good things). It's about Christ. Plain and simple. And that's not boring! That is amazing! Who doesn't like a little sleeping baby?

I used to think that taking Santa out of Christmas would be taking the fun out of Christmas. Such a marketing lie! This is Christmas not Santamas.

I was watching some youtube videos of people's Christmas (yes, I admit it). And in each of them, the parents were more excited about the gift than the child was. It was funny. One girl was opening gift after gift after gift but she just wanted to read her new book and hold her new doll.

Kids are simple. Kids are faithful. They will grow into skeptical adults but let's not hurry the process. Let's leave them as children for a bit longer. A wooden doll crib made by dad, a new book from mom, a little truck from grandma...what else do they need?

No comments: